Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Are Dems posturing to hold the Center or Abandoning Hope? Revisited

Next week, it will be one year since I re-published Bob Lord's excellent essay on the subject.
At times in recent months, Speaker Pelosi has shined. Her handling of Trump’s shutdown was beyond skillful. So give credit where credit is due.
But what is she thinking when she insists Democrats must “hold the center”?
Now that the Democratic Party has a presumptive nominee in Joe Biden, who has, all along, represented (in the presidential campaign) that "hold the center" thinking, is it time to rethink that sentiment regarding Biden?

In Thomas Paine's essay on the Age of Reason, he begins with this thought,
TO MY FELLOW-CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:
I PUT the following work under your protection. It contains my opinions upon Religion. You will do me the justice to remember, that I have always strenuously supported the Right of every Man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies to another this right, makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it.
The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is Reason. I have never used any other, and I trust I never shall.
Your affectionate friend and fellow-citizen,
THOMAS PAINE

I can say, without equivocation, that I have NOT abandoned hope but I have changed my mind over the course of the last year regarding the candidacy of Joe Biden.  And I do not believe that the Democratic Party has lost hope to emerge from under the dark shadow of the Orange Menace.

Earlier today, I posted video of Elizabeth Warren's endorsement of the former Vice-President. There is no way I could say it with more eloquence or grace than she did.

For that matter, by the way, THUS SAITH Bernie!



Today, Joe Biden represents the most hopeful outcome of and for the American people in the 2020 general election.

No comments:

Post a Comment