Thursday, March 5, 2020

Our MINDS are hard to change once we become convinced...

This week, I failed big time at something that has mattered to me for a very long time. But just a couple of days hence, I'm recovering emotionally.

Have you ever failed at something? At anything? I suspect the answer is yes.

It might be natural to feel demoralized and defeated after you fail... but don't let yourself become convinced that you cannot succeed. However, you might have to first adjust your path to get there.

Fight feelings of helplessness. Perform emotional first aid on your self.

Years ago I recognized that the cure for apathy among and throughout the American electorate is empowerment.

For collective success, success as a team, we have to discover what empowers not only our self, but ourselves as a team. Our mates. Our teammates. Perform emotional first aid for others with whom you have common ground and common goals and objectives... but don't forget to put the oxygen mask on yourself before trying to help them.

Our minds and our feelings are not the trustworthy friends we've thought them to be for so long. Perhaps they're more like the really moody friend who can be totally supportive one minute and really unpleasant the next.





What didn't I do this week? Lash out at anyone, even myself. Actually, I recognized the mistake I had made shortly after I made it. A couple of acquaintances/friends confronted me by asking questions. Because they did so, the way they did, I anticipated the consequences and knew it was coming.

I didn't blame anyone. Maybe not even myself. Because frankly, the consequences were reasonable even though unpleasant. And the longer term ramifications for my health, had the consequences not emerged, likely would have been more harmful in the long run. It still was personally very stressful.

But it's going to be okay.

I count it as victory. That's because I've seen SOOOOOO much psychological projection by others and by me over the last two or three decades that maybe this is a breakthrough. Maybe.

But I digress.

At some point in our lives, it's a very good bet that each of us will have our heart broken. The immediate problem/question is what can, or more reasonably, what SHOULD we do about it.




It began to dawn on me Monday that Liz Warren would not be the Democratic presidential nominee this year. This broke my heart. It wasn't the first major disappointment in my life, just the most recent. Btw, I still  Elizabeth Warren.

I've lost siblings, both parents, and endured a divorce with a major dose of acrimony.

Then four years ago, when Bernie failed to win the presidential nomination, it devastated me. I knew it was crucial to defeat the Republican candidate then... the person who has become the Orange Menace.

Clearly, I was convinced Hillary Clinton would be a far better president than the Orange Menace and voted accordingly.

Since then, I've come to the realization that the enemy isn't the DNC.

The Democratic "establishment" didn't cast all of those votes for Joe Biden on Super Tuesday. The diverse American electorate did.

And even more of them (US) will.

My heartbreak in 2016 lasted too long. These two TED Talks from Guy Winch can help shorten the negativity and sadness if you're experiencing anything like I did.

Of course, it IS still reasonable to see that Bernie remains in contention for the nomination.

But when the dust settles, please grieve and then lets Rise UP with One VOICE to oust the Orange Menace.

We shall overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment