Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The New LD26 State Senator is Andrew Sherwood!

Congratulations to LD26, and thanks are due to the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors especially Denny Barney for the selection of Rep. Andrew Sherwood to fill the vacancy left when Ed Ableser took a job in Nevada.
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors voted Wednesday to appoint Sherwood, 35, a marketing director, to fill the seat until January 2017. Ableser resigned Sept. 30, after nearly a decade in the Legislature, to take a job with the Nevada Department of Education.
Ableser had faced criticism in recent years for his number of absences during legislative sessions.
"I work hard at my job. I don't think I've ever missed a vote or a day of work," Sherwood said, with his wife, Amber Gell, by his side. "I"m going to take that work ethic with me."
He said next session he will work with fellow senators to boost school funding, as well as on increasing jobs. Known for his friendly fighting with Republican Rep. Eddie Farnsworth, Sherwood said he looks forward to similar debates with outspoken Republican senators John Kavanagh and Don Shooter.

This appointment, which I view as the best possible outcome as a result of the three names voted on by my fellow LD26 precinct committeepersons nearly a month ago now, sets the ball in motion for filling the new vacancy LD26 now has in the House of Representatives.

Tentatively, the LD26 PCs will meet during the week of November 16 to select three new names which will be submitted to the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors for the next selection.

Thus far, Samantha Pstross and Michael Martinez have affirmatively indicated they plan to seek the appointment. David Lucier, who was nominated but did not make the senate short list, has indicated to me that he is giving serious thought to seeking it. Jana Lynn Granillo, who also was nominated but didn't make the senate short list, has not gotten back to me yet, but it is possible she will also again seek the position.

Lastly, I will make a decision in the next day or so as to whether I will put my name in the hat this time. Over the last month, I've pondered the possibility of serving in the legislature.

There is precedent for someone with my perspective representing citizens in the lawmaking process. I can make things happen, but in a different way than somebody like Sen. Andrew Sherwood. I'm not going to pretend to be what I am not. I will elaborate more on that point when I make my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment